Saturday 14 January 2012

Chinese sword stands

I'm always on the lookout for different ways to display swords. These days, there are more and more Chinese-style stands on the market, but so far I've not been tempted by any that I've seen. Also, I must confess that I've never felt right using Japanese sword stands, they somehow seem inappropriate for displaying Chinese swords. However, with a bit of imagination, one can find other solutions....

Qing jian supported by two Pi Xie

These stands are Shiwan ceramic Pi Xie. Beautiful quality. They are a nice size, very stable, and hold blades at an ideal angle for table-top display.  Bought from an online Feng Shui supplier. 

The sword is a Qing dynasty jian. It has a 26 1/2" blade, brass fittings and a precious wood handle. The blade has numerous battle scars and it has been re-polished many times over it's working life. A very nice sword with superb handling.

Shiwan ceramic Pi Xie

I'm not sure that Feng Shui masters would approve of this particular use of Pi Xie, but they do make very attractive and dramatic sword supports!

4 comments:

  1. Very nice!
    Can you share where I can get this Pi Xie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice!
    Can you share wheren I can get the Pi Xie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. The Shiwan Pi Xie came from:
    http://buy-fengshui.com/

    ReplyDelete